- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali – Sri Swami Satchidananda. The first book to present the path of yoga as a comprehensive system.
- The Tree of Yoga – B.K.S. Iyengar Light on Life – B.K.S. Iyengar
- The Heart of Yoga – Desikachar (son of Krishnamacharya who was the teacher of Iyengar and other well-known instructors.) It is a great guide to starting a home practice, but I recommend to practice with an experienced instructor while also using this book.
- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind – Shunryu Suzuki of SF Zen Center, Zen Philosophy
- The Untethered Soul– Michael A. Singer. One of the best recent books I have read on the subject of meditation.
- Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga – Ray Long MD. Fully illustrated anatomy book, geared specifically toward yoga asanas.
- Ayurveda The Science of Self-healing – Vasant Lad, foremost teacher of ayurveda. Practical guide to ayurveda with self-analysis, dosha and food charts.
- Anatomy of the Spirit: The 7 Stages of Power & Healing – Caroline Myss. She aligns various spiritual traditions to the chakras.
- Taoist Energy Work and Sacred Sexuality – by Mantak Chia. Revolutionary!
- Autobiography of a Yogi – Paramahansa Yogananda. An inspiring and warm tale of Yogananda’s journey to becoming a great yogi.
- The Healing, a memoir of food, family and yoga, by Saeeda Hafiz, fellow yoga instructor and nutritionist.
Natural Oils used at the end of class: SumBody Headache Zapper Oil
Eye Pillows: This eye pillow is uniquely designed to be light and not lay too heavy on your eyes, hand-made and custome-ordered: Yoga Moves
Yoga Mat: I use this mat because it’s eco-friendly, you can fold it and it pops back in shape. It’s super sticky and light-weight: Kulae 3mm EcoMat yoga mat
Recommended Centers, Teachers and Friends
SF Zen Center
Sound Healing Center
Glow Yoga SF
The Center SF
Afi Ayanna – Yoga & Nutrition
Saeeda Hafiz – Yoga & Nutrition
Chelsea Kirby – Urban Mystic Yoga
Amber Field Music & Sound Healing
Body Mind Centering – Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen
Universal Tao – Grand Master Mantak Chia